1. Adding muscle mass will help your body burn more calories at rest. When combined with a proper diet, this will increase your metabolism and help you burn off excess body fat at a much faster rate. One pound of muscle takes up about 20% less space then a pound of fat, so building muscle will also help give you a lean and toned appearance that many people desire.
2. Building muscle will help you burn more calories at rest. When you do cardio you will burn many calories during your exercise and a little while after. When you lift weights and build muscle those muscles will constantly be burning calories while at rest to stay alive. It is to your benefit to build muscle and get rid of the fat.
3. When you build lean muscle mass, the additional muscle requires additional energy. In turn, this raises your resting metabolic rate, or the amount of calories your body burns while at rest. This increased bodily demand for calories can aid in keeping you slim when combined with sound eating habits.
4. Adding muscle to your body burns fat because, well, muscle needs energy to survive. A pound of muscle uses between 75 and 150 calories a day (remember, it’s working and using energy), while a pound of fat only needs 3 calories a day (fat does nothing to help your body, the ingrate, so it doesn’t need energy to maintain itself). Maintaining that friendly, fat-burning muscle mass only takes a few minutes—10 minutes, three times a week, to be exact.
Other important factors to gain muscles are:
- Drink more water;
- Do not only lift, take your rest as well;
- Make sure you sleep enough every night;
- Avoid alcohol as much as possible;
- Try to avoid stress, this can have a negative impact on your fitness journey.
inspire articles tanita and sharecare