- PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
- YIELD: 5″ CAKE (OR 9″ CAKE)
- CATEGORY: CAKE
- METHOD: RAW
- CUISINE: DESSERT
A raw, vegan blueberry cashew cheesecake themed in white, blue, and gold colours. Guaranteed to please even picky eaters.
- ¾ cup raw or toasted (for a more golden look) cashews (9″: 4½ cups)
- 1 soft medjool date, pitted (9″: 6 dates)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (9″: 6 tbsp)
- ½ tbsp agave or maple syrup (9″: 3–4 tbsp)
- ½ cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and strained (9″: 3 cups)*
- 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup (9″: 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (9″: ¾ cup)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, liquefied (9″: ¾ cup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (9″: 1 tbsp)
- ⅛ tsp salt (9″: ¾ tsp)
- optional: ¼ tsp raw ground vanilla bean (9″: 1½ tsp)
- optional: ½ tsp – 1 tsp orange blossom water (9″: 1 tbsp)
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries (9″: 1½ cups)
- optional: edible dried blue cornflowers
- Process all filling ingredients, except agave / maple, into a fine crumble. Add the sweetener and process to combine into a sticky mixture. Transfer this mixture into a 5″ springform pan (or a 9″ depending on what you’re using — see notes above recipe), and press into a crust along the base and walls. Place in freezer while working on the next step.
- Process all filling ingredients into a smooth mixture in a high speed blender. Pour this mixture into the prepared crust, filling it a tiny bit lower than the edges of the crust walls. Sprinkle with fresh blueberries and flower petals (if using). Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. Enjoy! Keep leftovers in the freezer.
*To pre-soak cashews: place in a glass bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 4 hours (or overnight in the fridge). Then strain and discard the water. For a quick pre-soak, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 mins, then strain and discard water. (Note: this technique doesn’t preserve the nutrition of the recipe as well as the traditional soaking technique above). Note: the purpose of soaking the nuts is to re-hydrate them and plump them up for blending into a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency. Proper soaking techniques also maximize nutrition and digestibility. If you’re interested in learning more about nut soaking and other dessert prep tips and tricks, I delve into these subjects in detail in my book Unconventional Treats.
Recipe from Unconventional baker