Give chicken salad a Caribbean twist with jerk spice, creamy avocado and exotic papaya.
- 3-4 (depending on size) red chicory
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 lime, juice of ½ , the rest cut into 2 wedges
- 1 tsp jerk spice mix
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 papaya, halved, deseeded, peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped
- new potatoes, to serve (optional)
- Chicory is made up of leaves attached to quite a solid base, so feel where the leaves start and slice them off. Thickly slice the base and set aside.
- Open out the chicken thighs and put them in a bowl with 1 tsp of the oil, the lime juice, jerk seasoning and oregano. Stir well, then griddle the chicken for 10 mins, turning once. Take off the griddle, cover with a plate and leave to rest while you quickly griddle the chicory slices.
- Meanwhile, put the redcurrant jelly, vinegar and remaining oil in a big bowl and mix well. Add the papaya and avocado, then the chicory leaves, but don’t mix yet. Chop the chicken, add to the salad with the griddled chicory, then toss well. Pile on plates, squeeze over the remaining lime and serve while still warm, with new potatoes, if you like.
recipe from bbcgoodfood